Anupam Roy Fans

Monday, September 3, 2012

Anupam Roy: Jaani Dekha Hobe (Song)


It happens only once in a long time that there comes along a song, like the whiff of fresh air, carrying that faraway scent, the fragrance that instantly tugs at your heart. A song that has the power to take you to the land of dreams and escape, to transport you to a place where no boundaries, no hands, can hold you back...where you, and your soul, are truly free......

Strong in lyrics, melody, arrangement, and a voice that can only best be described as 'hypnotic', this is the song titled Jaani Dekha Hobe, sung by, who else, but Anupam Roy!

(do excuse the fact that I cannot help you with translations here, I'm not good at understanding all the words myself and can't risk meddling with Anupam's work. Hope you understand.)

Sing Along: 

melechho chool, khulechho daana
jaani aangul chhoyaano maana
tobu aaji aami raaji
chaapa thonte kotha photey
shono......

aamake raakho buker poshone
tomar noromey

jo vaada kiya wo nibhana parega
rokey zamaana chaahey rokey khudaayi
tumko aana parega

chokh bole na na jole jaabo na
raat boley na biphole jaabo na
chhoto golper stall'e jaabo na
tui na ele

dekha jaabe jodi janajani hoye
jonaaki'ra bhaalo ghum paaraani hoye
taara'rao naaki obhimaani hoye
dekha na pele

jaani dekha hobe
thonter bhtetore
ghumer aadore
  
jo vaadaa.....(instrumental)

ghaash baalishera paash pherano thhaak
bichhaanaar nichey ghum piano thhaak
michhi michhi kichhu mom jaalaani thhak
eka table'e
kaancha mithe chhoya diye maapi mon
chhoto kaagojer bheed'e chhapi mon
mone thhaake na je mon khaaraapi mon
dekha na dile

jaani dekha hobey
raat'er shorire
tomaar gobhire

jo vaada........ (instrumental)

melechho chool khulechho daana.......

- Debolina Raja Gupta

20 comments:

  1. Pl translate the lyrics into English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the song just because of the Hindi lyrics stanza . <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous...much as I would like to, I know I'm not really the one who can do justice to the song with a translation..I shall pass this one ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of errors....

      Delete
    2. Sudipta...please do point them out to me so that I can rectify...like i repeatedly say, I am not very good at Bengali, so if I do make mistakes, I rely on you all to help me out...

      Delete
  4. Harshit M: To each his own, I love the song in its entirety

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not kidding,,,but,,this song seems like,,pulling my heart outta my body..... "salute dude"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aornie...it does, doesn't it? :-) I'll make sure Anupam sees your comment :-)

      Delete
  6. this song my one of the fvrt song (sple thanxx too anupam)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Amit Sharma: I'll make sure Anupam Roy gets to read this :-)

      Delete
  7. I actually loved the song except the Hindi part, felt it was completely unnecessary. I hate this recent trend in Bengali music to include a few lines in Hindi in between. I had even asked Anupam why it was done and his reply was that he's not the composer of the song. He didn't actually defend it. I think I got my answer. But otherwise, an awesome song. Really love humming it, in fact do it every day in the shower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to each his own, but I think its the hindi lines that add to the more touchy feeling to the original lyrics.
      if you go by the lyrics - jaani dekha hobe, thonter bhtetore, ghumer aadore - followed by - jo wada kiya wo, nibhana padega... - to me its just mesmerizing!!!

      the lover is so confident that she knows she'll meet him, if no where else then in her dreams, where he'll love her beyond imagination - at the same time she reminds him of the promise he made to her in her dreams that one day he'll come into her life.

      Delete
    2. @Subhajit...actually for me, I am really happy about the hindi lyrics used here. I don't know about any other Bengali songs except the ones by Anupam Roy, so can't comment on what you said, that it's a recent trend in Bengali music. I have heard a few sung by Mika though, so if you're speaking in that context, I can understand that they are total crass. But in this particular song, the hindi lyrics add a touch of extra charm and nostalgia.....some lines that maybe the lover may have heard in the old song earlier and is now finding his own sentiments echoed in them. It works great for me :-)

      Delete
  8. Btw, one mistake in your post. After 'Aamake raakho buker poshome', it should be 'tomar moromey' and not 'mone'. Ota rhyme o korchhena, you should have noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Subhajit....many thanks for pointing out...has been updated! actually I've never heard that word before, so maybe could not understand....i appreciate your feedback and do point out any further errors anywhere as my bengali is not that upto the mark...

      Delete
  9. No offense to Mr. Roy or his fans, but the rendition by one Ms. Ghosal is awe-inspiring too. Not saying his version is any less. For reference sake :)
    http://youtu.be/URO6PuaiJUs

    ReplyDelete
  10. @tanhaiee.....so true that :-) superb use of language, prose, music, feelings....just about everything you want in a song of the soul......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love this song !! ive been listening to this song on repeat for like the last 2 weeks, everyday, repeated.
    But i have some problem here, is anyone is who can help me for the english translation?

    ReplyDelete